Before you vote, please take an objective look at the education positions of our two candidates for Governor. Click on the candidate’s websites and read their education positions. We’ve all learned a great deal since Florida’s public education crisis erupted two years ago. Just reading our state-wide headlines on Twitter every day will arm you with considerable knowledge about the issues facing public education in Florida.
Choose wisely. Think about our kids. We are responsible for making the best choice for them. They expect us to know what we’re doing. Read everything you can about each candidate so you can cast your vote with confidence.
You can still vote early this week. The 15 minutes you spend making your choices in the voting booth is a powerful expression of your commitment to play an active role in our children’s future.
Candidates’ education plan highlights:
Source: Rick Scott Campaign Website
Rick believes in accountability in education
Rick believes in school choice, including vouchers and charter schools
Rick supports merit pay
Rick supports eliminating teacher tenure for new teachers
Rick supports homeschooling for parents who feel this is the best option for their children
Rick supports a constitutional amendment to modify the state’s class size law
Fully phasing out the business income tax over time will have a large positive benefit for Florida’s economy while having a minimal impact on state revenues
Source: Alex Sink Campaign Website
Quality Pre-K: Building a strong foundation
- Require a consistent curriculum for all pre-k providers
- Advance partnerships with businesses to enhance early childhood education
Keep our children from failing and dropping out
- Develop an Early Warning System to deter dropouts
- Support Career and Technical Academies in high schools
- Pair older student mentors with younger at-risk students
Invest in Teacher Quality
- Improve Teacher Education Programs and advance research in teaching Skills.
- Attract more bright minds to stay and teach in Florida
- Reform teacher compensation around a fair, performance-based system.
- Provide teachers with career advancement opportunities in the classroom.
- Expand public-private partnerships to develop leadership skills for Principals.
- Encourage certification initiatives for Principals.
Demand Quality Outcomes & Accountability Measures
- Move Florida toward Common Performance Standards.
- Grade Schools based on many measures of improvement.
- Provide more oversight, transparency and analysis of testing and test scores
More Engaged Parents, Guardians & Communities
- Expand family involvement & the role of schools.
- Promoting healthier students.
Build a 21st Century Curriculum
- Improve and Expand STEAM Initiatives.
- Improve Technology Opportunities in the Classroom.
- Support Expansion of Accelerated Learning Programs in High Schools.
- Improve Higher Education Accessibility.
- Increase the Proportion of Needs-based Student Aid.
- Ensure Accountability.
- Keep the Lottery promise
- A common-sense approach to class-size reduction